[Diy_efi] wide band O2's

gary gas-
Wed Jul 6 13:57:50 UTC 2005

Message> One thing I noticed is that the oe solutions from Bosch NEVER
> describe any sort of routine calibration, as most of the current
> aftermarket solutions claim was necessary. So it is my desire to
> determine (if I can) HOW the oem WB02 hardware and/or control
> strategies are so different that they do not require any sort of "zero
> oxygen" calibration apparently for the life of the vehicle (or the life
> of the sensor- which ever comes first! LOL

> It's been known that these ASICS do not require routine calibration
> as they derive a trim solution based on the sensor calibration resistance.

> I'm curious what the source/root cause of any significant drift might
> be - normal chemical breakdown? contamination?

The ALL analog circuitry was designed for OEM applications. The
OEM WB sensor is not subjected to the abuse it endures in a
'performance' or 'tuning' tupe application, be it lead, or something
less severe like AFRs on the rich side of stoich, (IOW 12.0 AFR
or even richer) something not experienced by a sensor in an OEM
application.   This unusual wear 'n' tear causes the WB sensors to
drift.  Without the abuse that causes this drift, there is/was no need
for manual calibrating/compensating circuitry in the OEM analog
circuitry.  HTH.

GAS