[Diy_efi] wide band O2's

gary gas-
Wed Jul 6 17:55:32 UTC 2005

Message> I guess I was leaning towards the controllers/sensors ability to maintain
> sufficient accuracy for a complete "life cycle" (typically 160,000km for
> standard zirconium sensors) Sufficient I guess for complying with FTP,
> but not necessarily with the high accuracy demands of a competition tune.

Maybe you misunderstood me.  In an OEM stoichiometric environment,
there is no need for the periodic recal.  As noted earlier, the accelerated
drifting (actually aging) of the WB sensor is a result of (predominately)
operating rich of stoich.  This is not a condition experienced by OEM
(for the most part).  How often does the average OEM compliant vehicle
operate at WOT, or IOW in open loop and rich of stoich?  It is not a
question of accuracy per sa, but that of operating the sensor under
conditions that accelerate the sensor drifting/aging.  This in turn, sets
the stage, for inaccurate sensor controller data output. (Or maybe I
misunderstood you. :) )

> However a "free-air" calibration process only confirms the accuracy of

> the sensor under lean conditions only (@20% concentration-partial

> pressure)

Agreed, but should be accurate at stoich as well.

> If these must be performed routinely, under the severe use of a

> performance application, wouldn't it then make sense that the

> sensor also be tested for "rich-end" or even stoich accuracy

> using various BAR certified blends?

> So my question is (in a nut shell) if one check and recalibration

> is so important (lean/free-air), why not the other side of the AFR

> equation??

First off, various WB controllers use the same or similar sensors.

The variable is the controller itself.  If in working order, the sensor

is just a messenger.  To continue...

You could I 'spose.  However, if it is recalibrated periodically (with

frequency dependant of severity of use), one could then utilize any

documentation from mfr. to help determine the ultimate accuracy

of their device.  Such as the following from one WB controller mfr.

Not ABSOLUTELY infallible, but a far cry from blind faith, as some

mfrs. expect out of you.  :)   OK, now from one particular mfr.:

"I can send you the logs we did with calibrated gases at 0.8, 0.85

and 0.90 lambda as well as a plot from testing response from free

air to lambda 0.8. For the test, the sensor was mounted in a small

measurement chamber (< 1cc) connected through a solenoid to

cal-gas at 1.5 bar.  With the cal gases, we found a max error of

less than 0.07 AFR tested over about 30 sensors."

The above would work for me.  :)  But how 'bout the sensor?  Well,
are you able to (re)calibrate it?  I would then consider the sensor a
useable one.

GAS

> Incidentally, no one responded to my query from the other day.

Hmmm, gee whiz.  How 'bout that,aye?  First time, shame on you.

Second time, shame on me.  BTW, I play softball, not hardball.