[Diy_efi] WBO2 and AFR

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Wed Jul 6 19:16:57 UTC 2005

--- "Fehn, Ron G" <RFEHN at amfam.com> wrote:

> OK.  how about a 10% ethanol blend gas vs the good
> non ethanol stuff?  does running ethanol blend
> result in a richer or leaner reading on WB
> and why?

For the same injector pulse width, I'd say that the O2
sensor would read leaner when running with an ethanol
blend, as ethanol brings an extra oxygen atom to the
party.

This almost makes sense when you think about why
ethanol is added to gasoline; vehicles operating in
open-loop (whether NBO2 controlled or simply
carbureted, etc.) will run somewhat leaner using 10%
eth blend, in theory leading to reduced greenhouse
gases (but likely an increase in NOx, assuming the
vehicle is in a good state of tune and maintenance).

| 82 Honda CX500 Turbo (Cassandra)  90 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
| M/C Fuel Inj. Hndbk. @ Amazon.com -  http://tinyurl.com/6o3ze |