[Diy_efi] Flyback Diode (was 555 timer...)

Daniel R. Nicoson A6intruder
Fri Jul 8 13:37:56 UTC 2005

Paul,

I am trying to learn more about using mosfets.  I have been tinkering with
other circuits besides the one I posted yesterday, some involve similar
inductive spikes, another circuit had even larger spikes than an injector
creates.  I have been using the 1N4003 diode across the mosfet to avoid
destruction.  I don't claim to have formal training in circuit design but am
having a blast working through my projects, trying to learn this stuff as I
go.

My question:

What specific item am I looking for in the datasheet to know that the
circuit won't need a flyback diode separate from what is internal to the
mosfet?

I looked in the datasheet for the IRF640.  It does have a section on
"Reverse Diode Limiting Values".  Which term is important here?

I have been using an N-Channel Power mosfet, RFP50N06, for some of my
projects.  With this mosfet I proved I have to use the external diode.  Its
data sheet does have a section titled "Source to Drain Diode
Specifications".  Some of the information is similar.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Dan Nicoson