[Diy_efi] WBO2 and AFR

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Fri Jul 8 18:17:44 UTC 2005

--- Michael Richards <michael at fastmail.ca> wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong but widebands measure the
> lambda

Well, if you want to be precise, nothing measures
ACTUAL lambda of combusted gases.  If combustion were
complete, then there would be no residual oxygen at
all at lambda = 1, nor would there be any for a
significantly richer AFR, either.  Eventually
combustion would slow to the point where the mixture
wasn't done burning but the pressure drop from the
power stroke "blew out the flame", and residual O2
began increasing again (and fairly rapidly, at that).

What is actually done is that the practical limit of
residual oxygen is estimated by measuring the residual
oxygen in the exhaust.  It's entirely possible to make
this a very good approximation, as Mr. Bowling has
certainly pointed out for us.

I wonder how WBO2 sensors would fare under various
conditions when compared against a four-gas analyzer?

| 82 Honda CX500 Turbo (Cassandra)  90 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
| M/C Fuel Inj. Hndbk. @ Amazon.com -  http://tinyurl.com/6o3ze |