[Diy_efi] 555 timer for injector driver

Mike niche
Mon Jul 11 18:16:37 UTC 2005

At 09:49 PM 7/11/05, you wrote:
>If the MOSFET is saturated time off or time on should not contribute to
>heat, only the number of transitions per second.  I sounds like your MOSFET
>is not saturated.  You need a logic MOSFET which will be saturated by a
>lower voltage on the gate.

Saturation isnt a term normally attributed to MOSFETs, "Rds on" is a more common
specifications assuming gate voltage is sufficient.. You *dont* necessarily need
a logic MOSFET unless your drive circuit definitely *wont* puncture the gate of
a MOSFET.  ie. If your gate drive cct produces 12v say for a MOSFET which
needs a 12v drive and you substitute a 5v or <cough> 3v FET then you face
the chance of destroying the gate before you make the first action.
In other words gates of MOSFETS have effective infinite impedance and are
easily destroyed by overvoltage - even a few volts above the recommended
ratings... As I've mentioned before watch out for parasitic oscillations and
check u have the correct gate resistor and a ferrite bead

"So better by far to understand instead of substitute"

sort of applies to the human race in general it seems

<chuckle>

Regards from

Mike Massen
Perth, Western Australia
VL Commodore Fuse Rail that wont warp or melt !
Twin Tyres etc
http://niche.iinet.net.au