[Diy_efi] WBO2 and AFR

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Mon Jul 11 20:56:26 UTC 2005

--- Tim Marsteiner <tmarstei at yahoo.com> wrote:

> So, are there ever times when ignition is knock
> limited such that combustion is not complete?

I haven't seen this on bikes.  I believe it does
happen on current generation automobiles, though.

> And would this tend to cause "erratic" WBO2 A/F
> readings?

It depends on how "incomplete" the combustion is.  I
would imagine that drivetrain engineers will back off
the compression ratio, or change cam timing to lower
dynamic compression, when they are losing economy and
power because the timing has to be retarded so far
that the majority of the potential energy in the
intake charge remains unrealized until after the
exhaust valve is well open.  So the short answer is "I
think manufacturers make other changes to prevent that
from happening too severely".  There would still be
noticeable fluctuations, though.  Easy enough to screw
a WBO2 into the exhaust of a new car and take it for a
spin, logging with a high sampling rate for both the
stock O2 sensor and the WB.

| 82 Honda CX500 Turbo (Cassandra)  90 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
| M/C Fuel Inj. Hndbk. @ Amazon.com -  http://tinyurl.com/6o3ze |