Fw: [Diy_efi] Greenfire re: Smart Plugs - anybody actually looked?

dh at busb.com dh
Sat Jul 16 20:24:10 UTC 2005

Then I would ask you and the Army if you've ever heard of a buzz box?  You know that device that was put on the Model T's for ignition purposes.  It just kept putting out sparks asynchronously until one of them happened to ignite the fuel mixture in the combustion chamber.  The low RPM engine had multiple sparks and the fuel would ignite before optimum firing time and burn very slowly until the compression came up and the combustion speed increased.  The timing of the engine was actually determined by compression pressure.  Problem was that the timing changed due to fuel, throttle opening and a number of other FIRST ORDER factors.

A HUGE improvement was timed ignition, such that the engine had a consistent firing point.  That point was the same whether the fuel changed, the compression changed or other FIRST ORDER factors.  This allowed the development of high compression engines which would otherwise ignite too soon with sometimes disasterous results.  Compression ratio is the primary consideration in fuel efficiency,  not a first order factor, THE first order factor.

To the military, shame on you.  Get an engineer.  Understand the basics.

Questions:

When will Bobby Yates Emory receive his set of plugs?

Where is the documentation that the military received?

What is the relationship between you and Ernest Buckler <ebuckler at icehouse.net>?

You have made public claims in an effort to attract investors.  Now you should step up to the plate with your actual claims.

For those who have not read the patents, the object is to embed an ignition device inside a pipe.  Druing continuous operation, the contents of the pipe will be burnt gases which cannot be burned.  Compression fills the chamber with burnable gas which is ignited when the burnt gasses are compressed into the chamber to the pint that the burnable gas comes into contact with the ignitor.

The first order effects will be the total depth of the pipe and the position of the ignitor.  Might work great over a small range of conditions, but there doesn't seem to be any method for compensating for RPM, load, fuel quality and so forth.  Very ingeneous method for retarding timing in an ICE with what is essentially a glow plug.

Sort of like the advance retard on a distributor, not needed for racing, indispensable for road operation.

Sort of like the low speed retard, not as important on a starter equipped engine, but indispensable on a hand cranked engine.  (This last one was just for the humor - but true.)

Sort of like a detonation detector, VERY important in a high efficiency (high compression) engine when the gas truck mixes up the tanks at the local station. (no humor here.)

Yeah, I looked and think I sort of understood.  Did I go wrong somewhere?

Now for a "I don't understand" question.  I don't understand how the burning gasses are splayed into the combustion chamber when the deepest volume contains already burned gasses that are already hot and have no combustion products.

Once you've understood the mechanical advantage of the wheel and axle combination, it's hard to understand why one would go back to rolling over logs.

You may wonder about my extended response.  It is the reference to 9/11.My opinion is that the problem with Smart Plugs is the same problem with the buzz box.  They don't work as well as current solutions.  To blame that on 9-11 is a sad, sad excuse for an intelligent marketing approach.

Military money has bloomed since 9/11.  The requirements for sanity in military purchasing have diminished since 9-11.  There is now more money than ever before for startups.  This government seems to throw any amount of money to gadgets when they should be giving more money to the soldiers, in particular those that have been injured, instead of gadgets that seem to be inferior to existing technology.

Bobby, my original response was too long and must wait for approval.  I stripped some of the extra stuff from this one.  I did, however like your response to me and think you should post it

dh