[Diy_efi] Ignition Timing

Becker, Damon Damon damonb
Tue Jul 26 20:41:45 UTC 2005

I have a turbocharged 4-banger making around 350 crank hp.  Knock is
clearly a concern in this setup as I map my EMS.  This discussion is for
the knock-limited range, not the off-boost cruise range.  Since I'm
knock-limited, I won't hit MBT timing before I hit knock, right???

I have read many books that advocate reading the plugs as a great way to
set the ignition timing.  I have read other places that using a
stethoscope against the block and listening for knock under heavy loads
while doing the dyno runs is the best way.  I have yet others say it's
best to use the stock knock sensor (unmodified internals, stock knock
sensor still valid) to listen for knock.

What's your best way?

Thanks for your time,
Damon