[Diy_efi] Making a fake O2

Marcello A. Belloli mbelloli
Wed Jun 1 03:28:19 UTC 2005

Dan,
    Yes, that is exactly where I am.  The stock computers mapping is in no
way set up for the engine that is now connected to it.  Everything you
said is right on.  We have a mismatch.  The stock ecm and its mapping
isn't going to work.
     I have kept reading hoping the bickering would stop.  I agree with
both sides of the debate.  GM computers are terrible when their O2s
fail.  And run so rich I'm couldn't understand why anyone would drive
it.  Now the ECM I'm running in my Landcruiser is a GM with TBI setup
out of 1989 C series 5.7l GM truck.  And it will actually use data
gathered during closed loop to effect WOT.  And it can do damage.
Now, the Honda/Acura setup we're working on right now will run so
rich with the o2 disconnected it will barely idle.  Now these are two
cars.  I have also seen setups where you could remove half the
sensors on the car, and the computer will keep it running like
nothing ever changed.  And it won't set a light.  Dodge Caravan
OBDII.  And the emissions will be perfect.  I believe it is smart
enough to use other data to make a good guess (kinda like
Speed-density) at what the sensor should be reading.  You would be
hard pressed to get one of these engines to hurt itself.  And if
there was misfire that could cause damage it will kill cylinders to
wake the driver up (Thats if they don't see the flashing MIL lamp)
and protect the engine.
     There are many computers out there, and many different approaches
used.  Now I have never personally seen a motor go boom because of a
bad o2 sensor, but I have seen a lot of damage done.  The o2 goes
bad.  The cat plugs up, the exhuast is restricted, and the temps at
the engine exhuast go steadily upward.  Exhuast valves damaged, seals
damaged, exhuast manifolds damaged, cylinder heads damaged.  etc,..
I believe that it all depends on the computer you are using.  There
are computers that go both ways....  I also don't see the problem
with an open loop car.  The Carburetor analogy is a good one.  I've
run vehicles 100,000 of miles with a carburetor without any problem.
And I can think of one setup or two aftermarket setups that don't use
o2 sensors unless you add them.  Both Eldebrock, and Holley have
aftermarket EFI setups that don't intially use an O2.  I think Accel
has one two.  And these things have been used in many cars, and
trucks without any problems.
    And this all started with a simple question about faking out the o2...

Marcello