[Diy_efi] Possible method of partial repair of damaged O2 sensor (was designed for O2)

Jay Wallace wallkatt
Thu Jun 2 21:07:51 UTC 2005

At 08:54 AM 02-06-05, you wrote:
Snip...

>I wonder if a more efficient 'repair' would be to heat it with a torch and
>play some pure gaseous O2 over it for a few seconds and repeat this
>cycle a few times,

Mike,
I'm guessing that at least some of the Pb from leaded fuel probably becomes
an oxide (PbO) in the exhaust stream that reacts with the ZrO2 of the
sensor to form PbZrO3, a really stable compound that is not very volatile
or affected by oxygen at high temperatures. If the exhaust is really
reducing then it could be Pb or Pb2O that your oxygen rich torch cycle
would convert to PbO and...

Answer to your question: No.

Or, a more socially acceptable answer: IMHO I doubt it.

Jay