[Diy_efi] GreenFire sparkplugs - any experience ?

Bret Levandowski skishop69
Wed Jun 8 00:51:57 UTC 2005

No. The "Fireball" system you speak of used a third 'powervalve' in an otherwise standard two valve head. The object of the design was reduce the spark plugs exposure to the elements in the combustion chamber including the combustion event. The camshaft would open the valve ms before spark occurred. This was supposed to increase spark plug longevity and theoretically more precise control of the direction and speed of the combustion event. In reality, it really didn't do much of either. The 'powervalve' was actually a solid metal rod with a hole bored through it about 13mm up from the bottom. When closed the valve would block the opening to the spark chamber. When opened the hole would align opening the path for combustion. As the engines aged, the actual opening timing and duration changed due to normal wear and tear on the cam. The other problem that came about in higher mileage engines was that the valve wouldn't stay aligned with the opening. it would usually spin about 90 degrees
 blocking off the spark path. God, I wished I had a nickle for evey time one of those motors came in misfiring from a 'bad plug'. Wait.... I think I do! Anyway, if I'm droning on about the system you're thinking of, it reared its ugly head about 20 years ago.

Back to my hidey-hole.....

Don Sauman <don.sauman at iinet.net.au> wrote:
Hi Mike

Is this similar in action to the "Fireball" ignition that, I think, was
used on Civics at some point about ten years ago.

Don

Mike wrote:

>Chaps,
>
>There has just be a repeat "The inventors" program on ABC TV in
>perth, WA re greenfire spark plugs - effectively the spark region
>appears shrouded in a chamber with a few holes. Inventor claims
>increase in efficiency and less pollution. Image of burn appears
>like the stratified plasma discharge so who knows...
>
>I wonder if anyone has tried these on their cars and if any
>advance to timing might be necessary as it appears it might
>retard timing a little. Might reduce chance of pre-ignition from
>a hot spot on the spark as the whole top is shrouded hence
>better heat sinking etc
>
>Produced in Brisbane, Queensland - Australia
>

>Regards from
>

>Mike Massen
>Perth, Western Australia
>VL Commodore Fuse Rail that wont warp or melt !
>http://niche.iinet.net.au

Discover Yahoo!