[Diy_efi] OL operation - How lean at cruise?

Michael Richards michael
Thu Mar 31 16:40:24 UTC 2005

As Hugh mentions EGTs are important to watch as running too lean can
result in burned valves. I see this a lot in the honda world where kids
swap their heads and continue to use factory computers that are mapped
for less VE.

I think you will find the main economy gains under cruise will come
from ignition and not mixture. Without some special features for lean
running you will be hard pressed to cruise at 16:1 and leaner without
mis-firing.

On many V8's you run a lot of advance during cruise. I suspect this is
related to their archaeic head design (insert other V8 digs here). In
short if you've got a lot of exhaust left in the cylinder you will need
more degrees in there.

Realistically you need to put the car on the dyno to find MBT for
cruise but you can try adding 3-4 degrees in the cruise part of you map
and seeing how much of an economy effect it has.

I worked on a 302 powered Ranger some years ago. The customer was
running 16 degrees of advance during cruise and taking about 22l/100km.
I leaned it out a bit and found MBT to be up in the 40 degree advance
range. It's been a while but 44 degrees sticks out in my mind. End
result was 12l/100km. Don't blindly try this but it is an example.

-Michael