[Diy_efi] Audi EFI conversion?

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Fri Nov 4 20:15:45 UTC 2005

--- Bill Shaw <b.shaw at comcast.net> wrote:

> The fact that Ferrari was one of the last
> manufacturers with k-jet in production says
something
> about how well they worked.  Yet even Ferrari has
> moved on to contemporary electronics to gain better
> control of the engine.

The CIS system had two major drawbacks; as you noted,
the fuel distributor airflow plate restricted airflow,
especially closer to WOT, and they required the use of
a fairly mild cam so as to keep intake pulses fairly
"smooth" during low airflow conditions.  However, it
is an ingenious system that does what it was made to
do very well and holds up decently over time, even
with a certain amount of neglect.

If the inherent limitations of the system are
acceptable to you, and you have one of the
lambda-feedback systems (or can retrofit a system that
will work properly with your vehicle, like from a
slightly newer model), you should be able to use
something like a Megasquirt to control the EHA.
Combine this with an increase in fuel pressure and you
should be able to do some reasonable tuning for mods
like intake and exhaust changes and so forth.  I don't
know anyone who has done it, but for all intents and
purposes the EHA is just an electronic fuel injector
used to regulate the fuel pressure via duty cycle changes.

| Kawasaki Zephyr 615 (Daphne)       Kawasaki Zephyr 550 (Velma)|
| M/C Fuel Inj. Hndbk. @ Amazon.com -  http://tinyurl.com/6o3ze |