[Diy_efi] (no subject)

WopOnTour wopontour
Sun Nov 20 02:20:52 UTC 2005

IIRC the only difference is the older GN engine used an older (84-87) C3I ignition system that utilized a symmetrical 3X hall-effect crank sensor and cam sensor in the old distributor bore. But if your using an 89 engine it will have "Fast Start" C3I which uses an asymmetrical 3X and 18X hall-effect crank signals (the cam sensor is not necessary for ignition but used for SFI). IMO the newer ignition would be superior so maybe you should consider using the newer 1988 ECM as well? IIRC the GNs were a bit of a "pet" of Bruce Plecan. You may wish to contact him about your options.Bruce's email can be located on the top of his GN Chiptips web page here
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/chips/chiptips.html
Regards
WopOnTour
----- Original Message -----
  From: Kristy
  To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
  Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2005 6:03 PM
  Subject: [Diy_efi] (no subject)

  I am building a 87 GN Fiero and plan to use a 1227148 ecm but the engine is a 89 so i can have the roller cam. The harmonic balancer on the 87 3800 engine is different from the 89. The 87 only has one ring for the crank sensor and the 89 has two does the ignition module i will have to use the balancer from the 89 because on the internal engine differences. If I use the module from the 89 with the 87 ecm will the ecm get the right signal????????