[Diy_efi] TPI cam limit.

Becker, Damon Damon damonb
Sun Nov 27 05:05:28 UTC 2005

Wild cams do better on and sometimes require a richer mixture, more
advance and a higher idle speed.  Evaluate your stock ECU for these
types of requirements and consider aftermarket engine management if you
can't meet this.

-----Original Message-----
From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org]
On Behalf Of John Gross
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2005 9:08 PM
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: RE: [Diy_efi] TPI cam limit.

One major reason a lot of people have problems with larger cams on EFI
engines is because people aren't willing to raise the idle speed of the
engine.  You can't have an engine with a stock 600 rpm idle and a cam
with lots of duration and a narrow LSA.  On a 383 LT1, with 224/230
duration and a 113 LSA, I had a hard time getting the idle under 900
rpm.  At 900 rpm, however, the engine would idle smoothly, not jump
around or hunt, both at temp and cold.  BTW, that was a MAP car.  On the
engines we build a work, I can't tell you the cam numbers, but there is
definitely non-stock duration on the cams, and the engines absolutely
will not idle below 1300 rpm.  They find a comfortable idle at 1600-1700
rpm, however.

Long story short, placing a "cam limit" on an particular engine when
talking about idle quality is really only valid if you're talking about
trying to retain stock idle RPM.  If you're willing to raise the idle
speed to help retain the idle quality, you'll quickly run out of
manifold at speed on a TPI before you have idle problems.