[Diy_efi] TPI cam limit.

Joe Boucher boucherj
Sun Nov 27 13:49:54 UTC 2005

I'm going to roll all the replies into one here.

I left out the comment about the 205 degree intake lob was for a TBI system.

I have thought of the restriction idea also, plus I have wondered if using a
small reservoir as a capacitor downstream of the restriction might help.
The problem with these ideas is the effect of the changes on off idle
response.  Also, how about a mechanical switch.  When the throttle is closed
at the idle position, the switch through a relay and a false manifold signal
is sent to the ECM?  Raising the idle, messing with the spark advance and
enriching the mixture are ideas I hadn't thought of.

I wasn't planning on going too wild (215, 220) as I understand the Chevy TPI
doesn't like to run much over 5000 to 5500 RPM with the stock runners.

I have ordered a book on how to make canoes out of carbon fiber for the
carbon fiber manufacturing techniques.  Maybe a custom manifold later on?

Thanks,

Joe B

-----Original Message-----
From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org]On
Behalf Of John Gross
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2005 10:08 PM
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: RE: [Diy_efi] TPI cam limit.

One major reason a lot of people have problems with larger cams on EFI
engines is because people aren't willing to raise the idle speed of the
engine.  You can't have an engine with a stock 600 rpm idle and a cam with
lots of duration and a narrow LSA.  On a 383 LT1, with 224/230 duration and
a 113 LSA, I had a hard time getting the idle under 900 rpm.  At 900 rpm,
however, the engine would idle smoothly, not jump around or hunt, both at
temp and cold.  BTW, that was a MAP car.  On the engines we build a work, I
can't tell you the cam numbers, but there is definitely non-stock duration
on the cams, and the engines absolutely will not idle below 1300 rpm.  They
find a comfortable idle at 1600-1700 rpm, however.

Long story short, placing a "cam limit" on an particular engine when talking
about idle quality is really only valid if you're talking about trying to
retain stock idle RPM.  If you're willing to raise the idle speed to help
retain the idle quality, you'll quickly run out of manifold at speed on a
TPI before you have idle problems.