[Diy_efi] Spark

Bill Washington bill.washington
Wed Oct 5 04:48:09 UTC 2005

Gents,
The energy required to make the spark jump the plug gap is proportional to the
  (probably absolute) pressure in the cylinder at the time and probably inversely
  proportional to the degree of ionisation - along with other factors....

IE a 'weak' - (read damaged - shorted turns) coil may throw a spark across the
plug gap with the plug sitting on top of the engine - but screw it in and no
spark ..... It happened to me ...... and took quite a while (an hour or so) to
identify the problem ... I had fuel and "appeared" to have spark but the engine
would not start! new coil and 'hey presto' immediate action!

Regards
Bill