[Diy_efi] The Hunt effect

John Gross jogross3
Tue Oct 4 04:27:56 UTC 2005

I'm assuming that you lose power with the oxygenated blend because of the
computer's adjustment for the blended fuel?  All else being constant, you
should make more power on the oxygenated fuel, assuming the same lambda is
maintained in the cylinders, which in the case of the oxygenated fuel, means
that you have to deliver more fuel to maintain the same lambda because of
the fuel's oxygen content, which is one of the reasons for the expected
decrease in mileage.  Of course, all of this goes out the window if the ECU
is actually changing it's calibration to a more conservative fuel-air-spark
map.

-----Original Message-----
From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org] On
Behalf Of Ulmer, James D - Denver, CO
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 12:15 AM
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: RE: [Diy_efi] The Hunt effect

In our case (Denver is a non-attainment area) we get normal gas in the
summer and oxygenated (alcohol blended) stuff in the winter. The blended
stuff always drops power and mileage some. In my Caddy, cheap gas never
knocks but the sophisticated engine management computer backs the engine
down so it will run on almost anything just not too well. I proved to
myself that mid-grade is an economical choice but full premium offers no
noticeable benefits.  With computers and knock sensors, you can't use
your ear any more, you have to run controlled tests to tell what's best.

Big Jim

On