[Diy_efi] The Hunt effect

Mike niche
Tue Oct 4 16:02:23 UTC 2005

At 07:12 AM 10/4/05, dh at busb.com wrote:
>Took a trip to Washington a couple of weekends back.

<snipped for brevity>

Reminds me of a trip from Perth to Monkey Mia, about 900Kms,
1st time used ULP 92ron, second time used PULP all the way 96 ron,
ended up getting 15% on average better fuel economy which overall
saved me more than the difference from ULP to PULP.

Similarly a trip from Perth to Northampton which was about 520Kms
I did on one tank of fuel, tank filled with 60L, allow 1-2 litres at
bottom quiescent. 3L turbo 6cyl, didnt pass much on the trip, drove
at 90 to 100Km/Hr most of the way, accelerated gently over hills,
which took some self discipline <chuckle>

That RB30ET nissan skyline engine just seems to want to pull
and pull past 160Km/Hr but pulls the fuel when it does...

Turns out, as far as I know, that the fuel we have here in Perth the
PULP coinicndentally has a little more energy per litre than ULP.

We also have 98 ron but didnt notice anything more than 96.

On my car though I have disabled the detonation sensor, ie Made
the ECU see it as never have detonation, fortunately my ECU doesnt
advance the timing until it sees a detonation, so cant hunt. Had
two cyl heads, 1st failed due to loss of coolant which caused a crack
along the cam tunnel, 2nd head failed due to corrosion, absolutely
no sigh of pinging or detonation on the pistons or rings, car doesnt
blow smoke even after 260,000Kms but used synthetic all the time
since it had 36,000Kms on the clock, inside engine clean as a new
barbecue plate - whereas other engines with mineral oil had so much
gunk buildup. Did have to redo hydraulic lifters about 50,000 Kms back
as they were tapping, easy to fix as they arent fully sealed. Have used
Nulon teflon 3 times in last 5 years and notice a little more power but
avoid it too often just in case of buildup,

Have since gone back to using ULP since no real difference in city
driving between ULP and PULP but country is definitely worth it.
Next country trip though will use PULP...

Interesting,

Regards from

Mike
Perth, Western Australia
VL Commodore Fuse Rail that wont warp or melt !
Twin tyres for most sedans, trikes and motorcycle sidecars
http://niche.iinet.net.au