[Diy_efi] The Hunt effect, spark energy, films ?

Mike niche
Wed Oct 5 03:09:47 UTC 2005

At 12:10 AM 10/5/05, "John Gross" <jogross3 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>It takes more energy to cause the fuel to ?flash? without a specific ignition point.  The spark from the plug on your car is more than enough to start the burn on just about any unleaded fuel.  I say unleaded to try to keep the discussion within reason in terms of octane ratings and appropriate CRs for the engines.  It takes more spark energy to light off a 115 octane fuel than it does an 87.

I can understand this can be the case for different fuels, ie going from
'normal'  to oxygenated etc. But would it necessarily be the case if simply
changing the mix of a non oxygenated fuel from say 92 to 98 ron ?

Your technical descriptions are great, well articulated and I look forward
to you staying on the group and hope you wont need as much of a thick
skin as others develop here over time ;-)

btw: As you have clearly made significant study into combustion, is there
any chance you have high speed films of combustion from any test
engines specifically designed to show the dynamics ?

Regards from

Mike
Perth, Western Australia
VL Commodore Fuse Rail that wont warp or melt !
Twin tyres for most sedans, trikes and motorcycle sidecars
http://niche.iinet.net.au