RES: [Diy_efi] The Hunt effect, spark energy, films ?

Helmer Velloso hvelloso
Wed Oct 5 16:58:02 UTC 2005

Hi, i'm new in the forum and very interested in this topic.

I live in Sao Paulo, Brazil, and here we have basically 3 types of fuel:
Gasoline, Alcohol (Metanol), and Natural Gas (excluding diesel because most
cars, here in Brasil, don?t use it, except trucks and bus).

I own an 95 Opel Astra which runs with gasoline and natural gas and have
some questions about it. It has a O2 sensor emulator to, when working on
natural gas, mask the problems with AFR that do not work the best way (the
natural gas has an pressure reductor to reduce from 220 bar to atmospheric
pressure using a mixer in the throtle body to mix the gas/air and i believe
it's not the most perfect thing :( ). Also have an emulator to advance the
spark point about 12 degrees on natural gas.

I have problems whith the plug wires that last, maximum, 10000 km, loosing
their isolation.

Tryed 10mm cable, but the problem continues. Tryed also NGK plugs with V
cathode, German Bosch 4 cathode plug, decrease the plug gap from 1 mm to
0.75 mm, but nothing .

Questions:

- The CR is original (9.5/1) and the car was designed to work with 95 RON.
Will i need to increase the spark power to work better on natural gas?

- Can I change the coil without damage my ECU?

- Does natural gas dificult the spark event in the combustion chamber?

Thanks a lot and, pardon for my poor english.

PS: It has knock sensor and uses Bosch ECU.

Helmer
hvelloso at uol.com.br