[Diy_efi] Timing

John Gross jogross3
Sun Oct 9 23:33:00 UTC 2005

Hugh,
  The 5-10 deg value is actually point of 50% mass fraction burn.  I think I
may have accidentally stated that it was peak pressure.  Peak pressure can
be anywhere from 5-15 degrees, based on time on the dyno, working with very
high end racing engines (i.e. engines from $60k on up), and watching what
happens to the power output as that location of peak pressure moves around.
In most cases, however, it will be no later than about 12 degrees.
Basically, the faster the overall cylinder burn happens, the earlier you can
make the peak pressure and still get the power output.  If you have a
relatively slow burn (i.e. stock engine or mildly modified type
applications), you have to delay the occurrence of peak pressure.

  The reason for this is fairly simple.  As you all know, you start the burn
before TDC, so as the cylinder charge is burning and combustion pressure is
building, the piston is still moving up.  Your growing combustion pressure
is fighting piston movement, costing you horsepower.  This is the main
reason multiplug heads, heads with a centrally located plug, etc are able to
make more power on an otherwise equivalent motor.  Your ignition timing can
be retarded, providing less combustion pressure before TDC, so there is less
pressure to overcome, while still providing that peak pressure soon after
TDC for maximum effective torque.  I think from this, you can see that the
optimum location of peak pressure DOES vary, depending on the fuel, whether
the engine is boosted, and if so how much, cylinder head type, etc, etc.
That's why I mentioned the range.  However, that range is typically more for
racing engines where a fast charge burn occurs.