[Diy_efi] those bosch 4 point plugs

Mike niche
Mon Oct 10 03:34:51 UTC 2005

At 06:53 AM 10/10/05, you wrote:
>Mike I dont think it is the plugs fault, sounds like
>your coil output is low.  A combination of the plugs
>and a lean mixture is working your coil to the max.  A
>hotter coil will do it for you.   Dustin Lof

Yeah thought that at the time, have spare coil, spare power
transistor and I changed the rotor too - pain that one as the
rotor was a skyline part not compatible with the holden one
so had to use a mitsubishi part... So the end result is low
probability the spares also have low coil voltage, the standard
coil for the VL and VLT is considered a high performance part.
I guess the only way to be sure is put it on one of the engine
analysers at a dealer or procure a proper high voltage probe.
I guess I should also check the O2 sensor output so I know
just how lean its running - which I think is pretty lean, might drop
it back a tad when summer hits with a vengeance but getting
around 12L/100Kms in city at moment, I'll give it a country test
this w/end... Right now I'm more worried about the tappet
growl - its starting to be noticeable at lower revs <sigh> Have
to take the top off the engine soon if it gets any worse :(

Regards from

Mike
Perth, Western Australia
VL Commodore Fuse Rail that wont warp or melt !
Twin tyres for most sedans, trikes and motorcycle sidecars
http://niche.iinet.net.au