Fw: [Diy_efi] Lumpy engine in closed loop cruise

Geoff Harrison geoff_h
Sat Oct 22 06:54:58 UTC 2005

Rick and Lee,
I hear what you are saying, and I agree on 70 MPH as a cruising
speed. Above that air drag comes into play, and I think 85MPH is
bit ambitious for "cruise" The Lotus is a slippery body, so it
may be realistic.
In the case of the Lotus, the turbo is adding what a NA manifold
would have plus 5 PSI. so its making about 10-11 PSI. so as Mike
suggests in his post, the motor seems to be working harder than
need be.
Air leak somewhere, or MAP sensor faulty, or not suited to turbo
use?

When you referred to "slightly below absolute zero" don't you
mean slightly below atmospheric?
BTW if you have worked out a way of obtaining pressures less
than absolute zero, patent it.

Geoff H

From: "Rick McLeod" <dunvegan at sbcglobal.net>
To: <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2005 6:38 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: [Diy_efi] Lumpy engine in closed loop cruise

I would agree, I have 3 volvo's w/ factory turbos and
at 70 MPH w/ just a slight uphill load the vac/boost
will approach zero, then return to vac side on the
downhill untill bottom and load returns and cruise
calls for power to continue on flat land, at which
time it is between those extreemes, of course when I
pass, it blows by zero and well into boost, but that's
my problem w/ my lead foot :-)