[Diy_efi] OT - cap/rotor clearance

Robert W Hughes rwhughe
Sun Oct 23 05:28:13 UTC 2005

Actually, rise time is secondary. A conductively fouled plug, common
with leaded fuel, will load the coil output and prevent the voltage from
rising high enough to spark. An air gap, whether between the rotor and
cap or in the plug (auxiliary gap plug like for instance UN12Y) will
force the voltage to rise high enough to jump the first gap before the
plug can leak off the current. I suppose you could call this a rise time
amplifier.

--
Robert W. Hughes (Bob)
BackYard Engineering