[Diy_efi] [ot] Oil pressure during cranking ?

Bernd Felsche bernie
Mon Oct 31 11:39:02 UTC 2005

On Monday 31 October 2005 19:37, Geoff Harrison wrote:

> > Thats an interesting point Mark,
> > Might be mine isnt as self priming as they need to be at low
> > (crank) rpms, maybe I need to back feed some oil into the oil
> > pressure sense gallery to get it started...:(

> Mike, when I do an oil change, I have a kill switch on the ECM,
> which I flick when I pop the bonnet. Crank until idiot light goes
> out, usually takes 10 secs.  Flick the switch, crank again. Oil
> pressure switches like this open at about 40Kpa.
> If you can get that, or more while cranking, should be OK to
> restore ign.  If you had the pump off, you might find if you prime
> the filter, presure will be restored.

On some cars, the oil pump is driven off the distributor timing
gear. You can then use an old shaft and a power drill to spin the
oil pump before replacing the timing belt/chain on assembly.

Even easier if you have an electric oil pump... :-)

\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | Economist	\E*con"o*mist\, n.
 X   against HTML mail     | One with a ready explanation as to why
/ \  and postings          | his last prediction was so wrong