[Diy_efi] AIR fitting

Mike Frels mfrels
Sat Sep 10 01:01:04 UTC 2005

7/8 inch!!!? The ones on my manifolds are more like around 1/2 inch. One at each exhaust port. Are we talking about the same thing?

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: gary <gas- at charter.net>
Sent: Sep 9, 2005 5:07 PM
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] AIR fitting

If it is similar to the later 350s with AIR it is a 7/8" 18 TPI inverted
flair tube/fitting assembly.

> When I removed the tubes I noted that the fittings and the flair
> on the tubes looked just like the steel brake lines...

Principle is the same, as the seal is between the nut and flair of
the tube, not on the thread of the nut.

Had picked up some generic inverted flair tube nuts to seal hole
vacated by discarded AIR plumbing, by plugging hole in the nut
itself, BUT with the seal designed to be between the tube flair
and nut, I chose to plug the hole in a short section of the original
tube left inside the OEM nut.

As this tube/fitting was not intended to be plugged, I personally
am unaware of any commercially available industrial plugs.
Having stated this, an individual on a 'B body' specific forum has
made available 7/8" 18 TPI stainless plugs for this purpose.  If
interested in going this route, email me off list.

Hell, some even choose to 'throw' a 22 X 1.5 mm metric oil pan
plug in the exhaust manifold.  The metric plug OD is sloppy/small
enuf to screw in and tolerate minor cross threading of the 1.5 pitch
(17 TPI) metric thread.  This obviously puts responsibility of the
seal on the thread itself, not unlike a pipe plug.  It works, I guess.
Not MY style, but to each their own I 'spose.

GAS