[Diy_efi] OT - platinum plugs burning up wires

Torbjörn Forsman torbjorn.forsman
Sun Sep 11 09:53:49 UTC 2005

I have once tried Bosch platinum plugs, on an old Skoda with breaker
point ignition. That was no success, cold starts were difficult and
those plugs didn't last long. So i continued using standard NGK plugs.

In my opinion, when an ignition lead goes open-circuit, this normally is
due to bad quality of the lead itself (here in Sweden, it seems like
nearly all resistive ignition leads sold by aftermarket companies are
very low quality. It is often better to pick up 15-20 years old OEM
leads from a wrecked car). Another cause is when someone is pulling the
lead to get a stuck spark plug cap loose.

Ignition coils that are fitted on the engine and subject to much
vibrations and heat normally doesn't get a long life. It is better to
have the coil in a cool, calm place in the engine compartment. Maybe,
modern coils that are potted in epoxy resin (for example, GM HEI coils)
survive vibrations somewhat better than the old, oil- or compound filled
ones.
For electronic ignition systems, it is extremely important to use a coil
with the correct electrical data (mainly: resistance and inductance of
the primary winding, and transformer ratio) for the used ignition
module. GM HEI systems are somewhat special as they have no overvoltage
protection in the ignition module. Instead, the coil is dimensioned so
that the primary voltage spike can never go beyond the breakdown voltage
of the module's power transistor. If a coil of the wrong type is fitted
to a car with HEI, the module will fail the first time a ignition lead
comes off or goes open-circuit!

/Torbj?rn Forsman