[Diy_efi] Timing

Bret Levandowski skishop69
Wed Sep 28 20:45:33 UTC 2005

So even though it only knocks when I'm under hard accel for 4-5 secs, I need to decrease my base. The knock occurs before the downshift or any change in rpms. So I'm clear, If I make a quick stab at the pedal, the only real change before downshift is vacuum increase causing the vacuum component to increase but I'm still reducing just the base?   Ski

dh at busb.com wrote:You need to reduce the base or static timing and increase the vacuum advance.  When the vacuum decreases (pressure increases) there is more charge in the chamber at ignition greater flame front speed and tendency to knock.  The base amount is the timing advance when neither mechanical (RPM related) and Vacuum (Load related) advances are not in effect.
dh

----- Original Message -----
From: Bret Levandowski
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 3:50 PM
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] Timing

This much I know. I'm curious to know if there's a formula or something for figuring how much timing for each of the three components.  Ski

Michael Richards <michael at fastmail.ca> wrote: A lot of knowing comes with experience. I could probably set a honda or
a mazda timing map from memory only because I've worked with so many.
If you're set up accurately to detect light pinging then you can work
your timing up until it starts to ping then back off a few degrees.

On a dyno finding the MBT you will see it when more advance fails to
make more torque. Some engine/fuel combinations will begin to ping
before reaching this point.

-Michael

> My question is in regards to the static, vacuum and mechanical
> advancecompnents of the timing table. How do you know when you have
> the right amount of each without using a dyno?
>
> I have an Excel program to calculate the addition of all three
> components to one table but I'm not sure how to figure static and
> mechanical. My problem is that when I stomp on the pedal at almost any
> RPM I get knock for 4 -5 secs. I ASSUME that I need to reduce the
> vacuum component of the table. Thanks, Ski

Yahoo! for Good