[Diy_efi] cryogenic tempering?

Jay Wallace wallkatt
Fri Sep 30 17:29:59 UTC 2005

At 10:53 AM 30-09-05, you wrote:
>http://www.kfor.com/Global/story.asp?s=3390503
>
>Any materials experts want to weigh in on this?  Maybe it increases
>durability but how could it affect mileage?

Methinks that I detect the strong odor of the dreaded 'technobabble' - and
probably a lot of wishful (self serving) thinking / data. See technical
info below if you are really interested or just plain bored. Bottom line:
While cryogenic treatment has been shown to be worthwhile in some
instances, particularly, where wear is involved and depending on the metal
being treated, it is very difficult to believe that cryogenic treatment
itself could reduce LUBRICATED friction in an engine enough to decrease
fuel consumption by more than half. For me, I'll file this one along with
the magnet that clamps over the fuel line and doubles the horsepower - and
gives you shiny teeth and a brighter smile.

Jay

Technical stuff:

For my own information I looked up "cryogenic" in the ASM Metals handbook.
Volume 1 (Iron and Steel) and Volume 2 (other metals) There was no mention
of cryogenic other than mechanical behavior (yield stress, elongation, etc)
of aluminum alloys tested at low temperatures. Volume 4 (Heat Treating) had
several pages on cryogenic treatment of steels (not cast iron or aluminum).
Several references and studies were quoted, but the final (skeptical) word
was:

"Many other case studies with varying results appear in technical journals
and engineering publications. The variability of the results listed in
these articles does not disprove the effectiveness of cryogenic treatment;
however, it does provide a cautionary note to anyone considering cryogenic
treatment. The need for study of any potential application should be
apparent, and a careful technical and cost-effectiveness analysis should be
made before embarking on such a program."

Further metallurgy - only for those seriously bored.

Metals are (usually) alloys and are (almost always) crystalline, but all
metals do NOT react the same to heat treatment. Heat treatments (at
elevated temperatures) are to increase atomic mobility to allow other
phases to precipitate out / grow (the temper part of quenching and
tempering treatment) or to allow strains to relieve themselves (stress
relief anneal). There can also be "recrystallization" of cold worked metals
that does result in grain refinement, but this also occurs by nucleation
and growth of new grains at elevated temperatures. Cooling the material
+decreases+ the diffusion rate and usually locks in the present structure,
even if a phase boundary is crossed. The one important exception is in
higher alloy steels that are quenched from high temperatures and contain a
large amount of the high temperature phase (austenite) This phase can
transform by a diffusionless (martensitic) phase transformation under the
appropriate conditions on cooling, producing a hard (wear resistant),
brittle phase, "martensite". This martensitic phase transformation does NOT
occur in aluminum alloys and it is hard to believe that there is much
retained austenite in typical cast iron or steel alloys.

If you are interested in basic materials science, a good place to start is
a book by Van Vlack titled Elements of Materials Science and Engineering.
There is a chapter "Multiphase Materials: Thermal Processing" that gives
many of the basics. Be prepared to learn about phase equilibria, crystal
structure, ttt diagrams, etc.