[Diy_efi] Timing

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Thu Sep 29 08:47:50 UTC 2005

--- Bret Levandowski <skishop69 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> So even though it only knocks when I'm under hard
> accel for 4-5 secs, I need to decrease my base. The
> knock occurs before the downshift or any change in
> rpms. So I'm clear, If I make a quick stab at the
> pedal, the only real change before downshift is
> vacuum increase causing the vacuum component to
> increase but I'm still reducing just the base?

Just the opposite, actually.  The vacuum drops when
you whack the throttle wide open.  The greatly
increased density of the intake charge raises the burn
speed substantially, requiring that less advance is
used (or knock will occur).  At part throttle, the
intake charge density is lower, so advancing the spark
timing helps increase power and efficiency.

| Honda GL500 Interstate (Slug)    Kawasaki Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
| M/C Fuel Inj. Hndbk. @ Amazon.com -  http://tinyurl.com/6o3ze |