[Diy_efi] Diagnostic TDC sensor on an old BMW

Torbjörn Forsman torbjorn.forsman
Tue Apr 11 20:28:14 UTC 2006

Typically, such sensors use to give between a few volts and up to, say,
20 volts p-p, very much depending on the load resistance. By choosing a
suitable load, the p-p voltage can be kept relatively independent of the
engine rpm. It is probably best to connect a scope and do some
measurements with various load resistors connected (probably in the
range 1 kohm - 10 kohm). If it isn't possible to run the engine for the
moment, it might be useful to set up the vibration damper on a lathe,
drill press or distributor test rig, and put the reluctance sensor at
the same distance from the damper as on the engine.

On most german cars with a diagnostic "TDC" sensor, it will not give a
signal at TDC but at 20? BTDC.

Best regards

Torbj?rn Forsman