[Diy_efi] 93 pontiac grand prix... I think the 3.1L auto

Joe Boucher boucherj
Sat Aug 12 02:57:19 UTC 2006

Good story.  Lesson for all.  Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org]On
Behalf Of Lee M. Lemoine
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 9:44 AM
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] 93 pontiac grand prix... I think the 3.1L auto

Hey Joe,

Well, me and my friend were out tuning without a wideband...   (Not that it
would have helped what actually happened)...   Anyways, with the haltech
your RPM limit is set in a menu, i set mine to 5500 rpm (stock) and only
programmed fuel up to the 5500 rpm table.  When my friend (who also monitors
these threads) Keith was using my laptop, he somehow enabled the 6000 rpm
table, which had no fuel mapped to it -- so it raised the ECMs rev limiter
automatically to 6000 rpm.

What happened was i was making powerband runs from 3200 rpm thru redline,
and the ignition cut at redline was working just fine -- until the redline
got moved.  Then the ECM started leaning out the mixture (eventually to
ZERO!)  every RPM up after 5500 -- with 14.5 psi boost running through the
motor, its no wonder why there are quarter size holes in the piston (I'm
just guessing, it still runs, but lopes worse than anything i've ever seen
-- and it has 'crankcase backfires' as i call them.   One of them strong
enough to blow the breather off, as well as push the oil dipstick and launch
it halfway across the yard (good 150 feet)...   either way, i got the new
motor just gotta clean it up and swap some stuff over, then make a new
wiring harness because i'm sick of having 400,000 dead end wires.

-- Lee