[Diy_efi] Why I asked about the GM V-6 MPFI

Bill - Comcast b.shaw
Sun Aug 13 13:35:54 UTC 2006

Jim Conforti and others have hacked the DMEs in enough detail to change
anything you want.  They just haven't released the information into the
public domain as has happened here in the GM world.

You can do MPFI with a '749 without a crank trigger.  The magnetic speed
sensor in my 928 worked fine as the '749's VSS input and there is a road
speed constant in the calibration that will allow you set the number of
pulses per mile.  I think I used 6200 or something like that.  The
reluctor in the 928's distributor  worked fine to trigger the GM
ignition module also so you might get lucky there.  All I had to do to
the distributor was remove it's guts,  weld down the centrifugal
advance,  and reassemble the the same stuff back into it. The Porsche
distributor cable connector even fit into the GM ignition module with a
little help from my Dremel.

Knock sensing is an issue.  The sensors are matched to the application
so you might have to play with different mounting locations and
techniques to dampen or accentuate the noise to the correct levels.  It
is likely the BMW sensors would work,  I think I would start with them.
I do not have a working knock sensor right now,  the overhead cams in
the Porsche V8 are very noisy and I haven't played with it enough to
make it work yet.

More details and pics of my 928 setup are in the '749 twiki on the GMECM
page.
http://www.diy-efi.org/twiki/bin/view.pl/Gmecm/1227749

If you come up with any additional '749 info while working on this,  or
if you want to document your conversion,  the twiki is a great place to
put it.  Just click the 'edit' button at the bottom of the page and type
away.

Rip that DME outta there! :-)

Bill
928s Vortech/749