[Diy_efi] info request

Torbjörn Forsman torbjorn.forsman
Wed Aug 16 21:04:09 UTC 2006

A Volvo P1800E (like all other fuel injected Volvos of that era with
B20E, B20F, B30E or B30F engines) has Bosch D-jetronic injection from
about 1969 to 1973. From 1974 on, all 4-cylinder models used the
mechanical K-jetronic system instead.
The 6-cylinder Volvo 164E however still used D-jetronic until 1975, when
that model was superseded by the 264, with a completely different engine
and K-jetronic.

The D-jetronic was the world's first mass produced EFI system. It was
initially developed by Bendix, but Bendix saw no future for it and sold
the whole concept to Bosch in the mid-60's. Bosch then in a few years
developed it to a field useable system, it was first used on the VW
1600E '68, and by 1969 it was implemented by a lot of european car
manufacturers.

Of course, that early system has some weaknesses.

The temperature sensors (for coolant and air temperature) often get
open-circuit.

Early throttle position switches are not well sealed and must often be
cleaned to work well.

The pressure sensor (a very vital component) contains a metal membrane
that may crack. Also, it is sensitive to dirt coming by the vacuum line.
It is a odd design, a transformer where a part of the core is moved
according to the intake manifold vacuum. That transformer is connected
in the feedback path of a monostable flip-flop in the ECU, which
determines the injector opening time.

ECUs made before 1972 has big problems with all feedthroughs between the
sides of the double-side PCBs, they are implemented as component pins
soldered on both sides (no plated-through holes). Due to thermal
fatigue, the soldering will soon crack on either side of all such
feedthroughs. From 1972 on, those were replaced by "C-jumpers", i.e. a
short jumper where one leg is soldered on the primary side and the other
on the secondary side.

The injector drive transistors (germanium parts, ASZ18 or similar) are
said to fail often in hot climates, although I never have seen a such
fault here in Sweden. Probably, this is a bigger problem on ECUs for 6-
or 8-cylinder engines where the transistors are more heavily loaded and
more heat from the injector ballast resistors is generated within the ECU.

A non-electrical problem is that the short pieces of fuel hose crimped
to each injector is of low quality and soon gets leaky. This has caused
many fires. On injectors manufactured before about 1973, the  crimp can
be filed away, the hose replaced and secured by a normal hose clamp. On
newer injectors, a special hose replacement set was once upon a time
available from Bosch.

Best regards

Torbj?rn Forsman