[Diy_efi] fuel injector limits?

Joe Boucher boucherj
Sun Aug 20 12:48:22 UTC 2006

My apologies, I don't have an answer for you questions, just another
question.

I think the better approach for adding fuel is additional injectors.  If
there was some way to fire one or two additional injectors at some point,
say based on rpm and manifold pressure, then you could remap the stock
injector dwell to account for the additional fuel from the added injectors
and carry on from that point.  The benefit is the stock injectors will do
their thing at idle and lower RPM's.

I've thought the AC cut off function might do the deed.

Joe B.

-----Original Message-----
From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org]On
Behalf Of Charles Woock
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 10:56 PM
To: 1diy_efi mailing list
Subject: [Diy_efi] fuel injector limits?

I've done the math... I used a desktop Dyno to get as close to my motor as I
could (many hours of tweaking), and came up with 270 hp (in my 4.1L Buick V6
race motor).  The math says that a 24 lb injector is right at the limit of
270 hp.  I have several questions about this.

1. I'm guessing that the desktop dyno will show a little more hp than I can
actually get, right?
2. Injectors that are too big cause problems with idle and lower rpm tuning
etc... How much bigger is "too big"?  Will a 30lb injector be too big?
3. I found a 27lb injector at fiveomotorsport.com but I don't know what
pressure that rating came from.  Thoughts?
4. How long can you run an injector at 85% duty cycle before it starts to
get wear out.

Last and most important question.  What do I buy 24#, 27#, or 30#??

I'm currently converting it to EFI using a 1227727 and 3.8L MPI intake.  I
like a challenge and the details of this project are definitely challenging
me.  Details, details!   Thanks!

Charles