[Diy_efi] Is E85 worth it?

Torbjörn Forsman torbjorn.forsman
Fri Aug 25 11:05:44 UTC 2006

Older FFV cars (like the Ford Taurus from around 1996) have a fuel
quality sensor which measures the dielectricity constant of the fuel. It
is sort of a capacitor which uses the fuel as the dielectric, together
with a capacitance measuring circuit.
Today's FFV vehicles usually don't have any such sensor but uses the
ordinary lambda control and adaptation functionality of the ECU to adapt
for different fuel mixtures. In fact, some non-FFV vehicles have a large
enough adaptation "window" to run well on either gasoline or E85, if
they only get somewhat higher fuel pressure or larger injectors.

The difference in fuel consumption between gasoline and E85 is often
smaller than one might believe from the heat values of the fuels. This
is due to E85's higher hydrogen content and lower carbon content than
gasoline. The exhaust gases will contain more water steam and less CO2,
which gives the engine better thermal efficiency as the steam takes more
room per mole (please refer to any thermodynamics text book for more
details). Additionally, the higher octane number of E85 permits earlier
ignition and higher compression ratio than we are used to from gasoline
engines.
As it is more difficult to evaporate E85 than gasoline, it is very
important to make sure that everything concerning the fuel vaporization
is in best possible order. Good intake air preheating helps much, as
well as using modern types of injectors and a relatively high fuel pressure.

Best regards

Torbj?rn Forsman