[Diy_efi] Is E85 worth it?

Steve Ravet Steve.Ravet
Fri Aug 25 14:23:39 UTC 2006

It's simple enough to go to the EPA OTAQ WWW page and download a
spreadsheet showing emission certification levels for vehicles sold in
the US.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/crttst.htm

Search for the diesel Jetta and you'll find NOX emissions of .55
grams/mile, and HC emissions of .28 grams/mile.

Then search for c2500 and you'll find a heavy duty gas pickup with NOx
emissions of .1 g/mile and HC emissions of .017 g/mile.  The pickup,
with the mileage you'd expect from an 8 liter v8, is far cleaner than
the anemic diesel jetta with it's cute little 1.9l diesel.

The 2007 certifications aren't out yet but I doubt low sulphur is going
to make much difference to HC or NOx.

Diesel engines have their place towing/hauling, but not in making the
air any cleaner.  I don't understand how diesel has an image of being
environmentally friendly.  "Dr. Z" may claim that the Liberty is the
cleanest diesel ever, but in fact it's dirtier than the jetta.

--steve

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.