[Diy_efi] EEPROM based efi compter, DIY style.

Bevan Weiss kaizen__
Wed Dec 20 07:44:32 UTC 2006

Hi Ben,

This certainly is most easily done using a microcontroller.
If you obtain a micro with ADC inputs then you can easily convert from
an analog voltage into the digital domain, the micro can then operate on
this to provide a pulse width modulated (PWM) output signal (either via
dedicated PWM hardware, or through a software PWM implementation).

The main difficulty becomes conditioning the analog signal for input to
the ADCs.  Things like O2 sensors don't have a very straight forward
signal path and so additional control is required for them.
Most other sensors are relatively simple, being ratiometric to supply
voltage, and hence only require an appropriate supply voltage to give a
sufficient output signal.

An EEPROM chip itself is capable of very little, it certainly can't
produce a PWM output unless additional circuitry is used around it.  I
would strongly favour a microcontroller for this task.

With micros like the ARM7TDMI readily available for very cheap this is
not a difficult task.

You would however want to pick up another programming language (C
preferably, though some ARM assembler would likely be beneficial too).
You would also want additional hardware development skills, but it would
be an interesting project to learn on.

If you're just after something plug and play, then you should look more
towards the megasquirt range that Bruce et al designed.  If you're just
after the end product it's the way to go.  If you're after the learning
then doing it yourself would certainly be enlightening, however I would
caution that it will never be as 'easy' as you first imagine.

Regards,
Bevan