[Diy_efi] Tuning for E85 Fuel

Torbjörn Forsman torbjorn.forsman
Mon Feb 6 07:23:04 UTC 2006

Typically, the fuel flow must be increased by about 30 %. In case of a
conventional EFI system, it is most easily done by increasing the fuel
pressure or replacing the injectors by bigger ones.
If the fuel pressure increase is done by fitting a second pressure
regulator in series with the return line from the original regulator,
then it is easy to change between gas and E85 with a bypass valve
parallel to the second pressure regulator. Most fuel pumps have no
problems with the higher fuel pressure, although the pressure reserve
for clogged fuel filters etc is smaller than usual. The only known fuel
pump problems are on very worn pumps and on some japanese vehicles using
centrifugal pumps.
Often, more enrichment is needed at cold start and warm-up than we are
used to from gas engines. A simple way to fix this is to connect a fixed
resistor in series with the engine temperature sensor (assuming that it
it a NTC sensor), together with a switch to short the resistor after
starting.
In some cases, one can benefit from using earlier ignition timing than
for gas, but it is normally not necessary to change the ignition timing
of a high performance engine that is already tuned for relatively high
octane gas.

To get good fuel economy and low HC emissions in cold weather, some kind
of intake air preheating is strongly recommended.

For E85 discussions, i can recommend http://etanol.nu/forum/index.php .
Although most discussions are held in swedish, there is an
"International" forum where english is used.

/Torbj?rn Forsman