[Diy_efi] comments on reorganizing lists

Mike A. djzkb
Tue Feb 7 15:46:52 UTC 2006

I've actually wrote to the owner of the list and offered completely free VBulletin, domain and hosting for this site, ie I would have sponsored the site / forum in its entirety, but have gotten no response. I would still love to help transfer this mailing list to a full featured technical-only web discussion format to encourage more detailed faq sections and easier access for all.

- Mike

----- Original Message -----
  From: jeff matthews
  To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
  Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 4:41 AM
  Subject: RE: [Diy_efi] comments on reorganizing lists

  I think going to vbb style forums is good idea :)

  Best regards,
  JEFF

    From:  "Steve Ravet" <Steve.Ravet at arm.com>
    To:  <gmecm at diy-efi.org>, <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>, "efi_332" <efi332 at diy-efi.org>,<wbo2 at diy-efi.org>
    Subject:  [Diy_efi] comments on reorganizing lists
    Date:  Mon, 6 Feb 2006 23:24:04 -0600
    I've thought about moving the lists to the forum style format that most
    other internet groups use -- corral.net, thirdgen, etc.  I've been
    opposed to this for some time, liking the email format these lists have
    always used.  So I've put together a list of what I think the pros and
    cons of each are and I'd like to solicit some discussion and opinions on
    whether a switch would be good or bad.

    email pros:
    1)  new posts come to your inbox, or can be filtered to another box.

    email cons:
    1)  surprisingly high bandwidth usage
    2)  archive/search engine isn't automatic.

    forum pros:
    1)  possibly lower bandwidth
    2)  message context always available.  Don't have to depend on included
    replies or memory to know if the discussion started out about Ford or GM
    intakes, for example.
    3)  archive/searching built in.
    4)  sticky posts mean good information doesn't disappear into the
    archive abyss.

    forum cons:
    1)  overly cute dancing smiley faces
    2)  chatty
    3)  no digest mode (?)

    The owner may be able to turn off dancing icons, and I don't know if the
    chatty-ness of other forums is due to the list membership or encouraged
    by the format.  An ideal solution may be like yahoo where you can sign
    up for email delivery of all posts if you want.  Note, I am not
    suggesting moving the lists to yahoo.

    If the switch is made I plan on having the same lists available,
    possibly dropping the diy_wb list since it's very low traffic and on
    topic for diy_efi.  I don't plan on having a lounge forum.

    Anyway, if you have an addition to the pros and cons listed above send
    it, and if you have an opinion on switching send that also.

    --steve

    -- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.