[Diy_efi] Re: comments on reorganizing lists

John Smith dirtrider218
Tue Feb 7 17:11:36 UTC 2006

I have been a longtime VBulletin forum user and as such am more comfortable
with the style, but I won't deny that it has definite drawbacks. I can find
archived information MUCH faster and easier. However, the high site
visibility and ease of registration tends to attract more people who are
less interested in contributing useful information. The high site visibility
will also attract more genuinely interested memmber, though. Some people
also register at a site(Corral.net, Stangnet.com, SuperHonda.com, etc) just
to chat on the off-topic forum! Here, the more research-style info gathering
method tends to discourage those who just want to talk.  Since there would
be no "lounge" or off-topic area, I suppose this won't be an issue. A
popular forum might also accumulate 150,000 members while only 1500-2000 are
active. In the mailing list, I find that some will quote about 7 or 8
consecutive messages and I have to scroll REALLY far down to get to Message
2. It requires a lot of extra cutting and pasting to do that on a forum.
Some do, though, and it's still irritating.

This is not meant to dissuade you from the forum format. I will embrace it
if you do or stay content with the current mailing list. They are just
personal observations I have made in the last ~8 years of successes and
failures on forums.