[Diy_efi] Pulsing a K-jet cold start injector?

urq urq
Tue Feb 14 08:06:21 UTC 2006

... the main problem for me is that the CSI is not optimally placed in the
manifold to ensure even distribution of fuel to the cylinders ... here
again, all I know about are Audis ... perhaps BMW put a bit more thought tot
the placement of the CSI ... but I doubt it.

As others have noted, Audi did pulse the CSI for hot start mode on the CIS
turbos ... IME the pulse rate is measured in seconds, or at least
significant fractions thereof.

I'm not so sure I agree with the comment that the CSI is built up just like
a pulsed injector for EFI ... I'm sure the spray is not optimized as a
modern EFI injector is, and the coil for the electromagnet is much larger
... meaning much higher inductance ... meaning not easy to make it work very
fast ...

If you're looking for ditching the CIS look to see if some newer models of
your car had EFI ... for the Audi folks the newer 90 series models had EFI
with the 5-cylinder engine, as did the EuroVan ... some folks use this as
their basis for the transition.  If all you're looking for is fuel, a
MegaSquirt kit might be a good start ...

Steve B
San Jose, CA (USA)