[Diy_efi] Dead cold rough idle

Torbjörn Forsman torbjorn.forsman
Fri Feb 17 18:59:19 UTC 2006

Hunting at idle might also be caused by wrong control parameters for the
  idle speed stabilization or too early ignition (then the engine
response to a change of the idle air valve will not match the control
parameters and the system will oscillate).

Idling problems at a cold engine can usually be avoided by a good intake
air preheating and, of course, heating of the intake manifold. Some
european TBI engines (for example, the 1,6 and 1,8 l engines of VW
Golf/Rabbit from about 1988 to 1997, with Bosch Mono-jetronic or
Mono-motronic TBI) have an electric PTC heater of about 300 W directly
below the TBI unit. This heater is controlled either by a thermostat or
by the ECU, so that it is switched on from a cold start and until the
coolant temperature has reached about 50-70 ?C (120-160 ?F).

Best regards

Torbj?rn Forsman