[Diy_efi] OT TCI Ignition

Torbjörn Forsman torbjorn.forsman
Wed Feb 22 07:15:57 UTC 2006

A common problem with CDI systems is that the spark duration is too
short to reliably ignite a lean fuel mixture. They will also cause more
electrical interference emissions (disturbing radio reception and other
electronics in the vehicle) than an inductive ignition system.
The fine thing with CDI is that it is more tolerant to fouled plugs than
an inductive system, due to the faster rise of the ignition voltage and
the lower internal resistance. But fouled plugs are not a problem on
four-stroke engines today.
There are good reasons why CDI is commercially used on lots of small
two-stroke engines (chain saws, snowmobiles etc) but very seldom on
passenger cars.

Best regards

Torbj?rn Forsman