[Diy_efi] gm vortec efi

Tom Visel five10man
Thu Feb 23 15:24:27 UTC 2006

The 3800 manifolds die where the exhaust gases pass through for the EGR
valve.  The aftermarket replacements and the newer OEM stuff have a
metal tube installed to combat the problem.

Regarding suitability of SBC vortec manifolds for making power, IDK.
There's got to be a truck forum out there with guys who could tell you.

I do know that the Vortec poppet-nozzle style injectors are infamous for
being sensitive to deposits.  Apparently (so I'm told,) they were tested
with Chevron gasoline with Techron.  Since we in the real world aren't
going to pay that much on a regular basis for our fuel, people come into
my shop all of the time (~every 2 months or so) with clogged injectors.
The cure is an injector cleaner that is full of the active ingredient in
Techron.

TomV