[Diy_efi] Audi idle issue

David Allen davida1
Tue Feb 28 00:23:56 UTC 2006

  If this has any K-jet variant (with the mechanical flowmeter/ fuel
metering unit and poppet nozzle injectors) I've seen the boot completely
blown off the bottom of the airflow meter unit... There are so many places
for this system to suck air after all the rubber parts turn brittle.
  Anything between the metering unit and engine has to be drum-tight.  Look
at turbo air pipework, blow-off valve, intercooler.
  During my Euro car years, I made a propane fogging device from a
Benz-O-Matic torch and a piece of small-gauge fuel line.  Start a small flow
of propane and move the end of the hose around areas that can leak unmetered
air into the system, Crankcase breather hoses, boot under metering unit,
valvecover gaskets, and missing gasket on oilcap were places I learned to
look first.
  Using a helper to press down the airflow meter flap to keep the engine
idling, fog each area listening for the engine speed to increase. Be mindful
of the distributor and other areas that could ignite the propane.
  Why did you need to adjust the CO adjustment?
   Later,
David