[Diy_efi] Audi idle issue

Ernest Buckler ebuckler
Tue Feb 28 00:02:57 UTC 2006

>   Using a helper to press down the airflow meter flap to keep the engine
> idling, fog each area listening for the engine speed to increase.

>   Why did you need to adjust the CO adjustment?

David,
Thanks for the extensive advice, will double check all those areas - I have
a new boot (old one was cracked, as you mention - but the car still ran...),
new hoses, new clamps, clean ISW, new thermoswiitch, new ign. wires, new
dist. inner parts.   The car ran fine once warm but very rich at idle (black
smoke, etc) so I was trying to adjust mix with the only means I knew (idle
screw did nothing, even after total bench cleaning of throttle plate,
resoldering of bad joints inside that switch) - which was the air flap (CO
adjustment, therefore the overall "jetting" (mixture) adjustment, according
to my thinking??   In frustration, I turned it a LOT, trying to get
something to change that rich idle.  Nada.  But - my Duh here - then I
discovered that the throttle switch plug was not in tight, had fallen out.
Now it's plugged back in, BUT the engine won't run after cold start shuts
off.  No more black smoke - no smoke at all...  And I have been told that
the air flap screw is normally adjusted in tiny fractions of a turn -
whereas I could be 3 or 4 or 5 turns out, no way of knowing what I did in my
frustration (above).   To much random action, not enough thinking things
thru on my part.  The Bentley manual gives a method for getting the basic
air flap setting, but it requires removing the air boot, and that was such a
PITA to install, I'm hoping there's a "tune by ear method" that'll get me
close enough to drive the car to an emissions shop for final tweaking.
Thanks for any clues,
Ernest B.