[Diy_efi] Big Caddy

Jason M. galaxiecustom500
Thu Jan 5 15:35:09 UTC 2006

Over drive is hydraulic.  Only thing electrical in a 700r4 would be the
torque converter lock up solonoid, couple gear indicator switches (most have
one for park/neutral and one for overdrive) and in '91 it should also have
an electronis speedometer drive, should be able to swap that for a cable
drive if you need to.

Getting the Throttle valve cable set up right was probably the hardest part
of the whole swap.

I forget the exact number now but there is something like 15 different
cables.  They all need essentially the same travel, just have different
distances from the throttle shaft, or overall length from what I read.

I used the holley cable bracket which mounts to the driverside rear
carburetor hold down.  Also had to weld a piece of metal to it so it would
also attach to the passenger side rear so it wouldn't rotate.  The TV cable
used is for a '84 trans am (what the transmission came from).  Really needed
about 6 more teeth on the adjuster to work with that bracket.  Currently the
cable adjuster is a piece of hose that was split, put over the cable
housing, then attached with a hose clamp.  Not ideal but it's worked for
8000 miles so far.

Believe lokar makes a fancy TB cable that is a "cut to length" deal so you'd
be able to get things lined up correctly.

The other problem I had was the carburetor I used, and old 450 cfm holley
that was a replacement for a ford with a ball socket throttle cable and a
kick down rod.  Just made it interesting hooking up the cables.

btw, I only used the carburetor because I already had it, they are cheap to
rebuild and the quadrajet had a well worn primary throttle shaft.

Jason.